Tuesday 13 January 2009

Similies


Not this Englishman´s home, but just up the road.


Quite a bit of snow here this morning, though not up to Toledo, Ohio standard yet. Must try to get some pix for tomorrow.
Today´s topic. for no particular reason; similies. I have just been reading a couple of old Anthony Powell novels and one or two made me smile. Nothing like a good simile.
But I am having problems. I looked for a list of good similies on the web and can´t find one. Will have to make notes as I read and come back to the topic again. But here are a couple as I remember them.
The first is Dickens, on the lawyers in Lincoln´s Inn: "Like a lot of maggots in a nut."
One from Anthony Powell: "Perhaps," said Bernard, speaking as if he was pushing a heavy piece of furniture across the room, "perhaps it was what she did not do."
My favorite so far, paraphrased, I fear, from Nancy Mitford: "When Charles (a handsome man) entered the room, the women´s heads snapped round like those of dogs when they hear someone unwrapping a piece of chocolate."
Then a old favorite, very handy, from Anon, "About as much use as a one-legged man in an arse-kicking contest."
I will make a point of finding some more. Contributions welcomed.


TODAY´S THOUGHT

One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem, see a fine picture, and if it were possible, to speak a few reasonable words.
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

POEM

Me up at does
out of the floor
quietly Stare
a poisoned mouse

still who alive
is asking What
have i done that
You wouldn't have

e.e.cummings

No comments: