Sunday 22 March 2009

WITCHES 2: CATHOLICS 0

LUANDA, Angola – Tens of thousands of Angola's Catholics lined the streets of the capital Saturday for a blessing from Pope Benedict XVI, who urged the country's faithful to reach out and convert people who believe in witchcraft.
But a stampede at a stadium before one of the pope's speeches left two people dead and others injured.
"The pope is very upset," a Vatican spokesman, the Rev. Federico Lombardi, said late Saturday.

Naughty old witches.


TODAY´S THOUGHT
I have recently been examining all the known superstitions of the world, and do not find in our particular superstition (Christianity) one redeeming feature. They are all alike founded on fables and mythology.
Thomas Jefferson

P.S. Readers may be surprised to learn that I am superstitious myself. For one thing, I firmly believe that backing losers is unlucky.

2 comments:

claire bangasser said...

Hi, hi,

Have you read anything by Bishop Spong? He had a column the other day in the Washington Post, and it's staying with me -- about all religions dying, but not to worry, new ones always arise...

Glad I found you.

Patrick O'Gara said...

Hi, Claire,
Must look him up. Love the name. Reminds me of Cardinal Sin, who was big about 10 years ago.
P.